Wednesday, July 18, 2012

vmware tools install on linux guest

I installed a VMware virtual machine (free virtual player) on my windows XP machine. i then installed debian 6.0.5 gnome front end on it. For enhanced functionality like, shared folders between host/guest, copy and paste, drag and drop, etc., you need to install vmware tools. At the top under virtual machine, is the option for that.

When I ran the tools shell script in my linux guest, it could not find gcc or kernel headers, etc. The specific error was something like, "vmware tools cannot find gcc on the system". I was puzzled because when i typed "gcc" on a command prompt, it found the command. I felt it was not properly installed. A little later i found you need to do the following two steps to install proper gcc based build capacity on a linux machine.

sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` (` is the one next to the 1 key on your keyboard)

The first command installs gcc and all the compiler utilities. The second command installs the header files for your currently running kernel. Notice that the ` is the one next to the 1 key on your keyboard.
thanks to: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/install-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-edgy-eft/

Now shared folders work, drag and drop, cut and paste, AWESOME!

Also, it might have fixed a problem I had with the mouse getting locked when I was hi-lighting text or moving stuff around. It would lock from 5 - 30 secs. Hopefully, that is fixed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment